January 1, 2023
Banana and chocolate are such a great flavor combination! This moist banana cake with chocolate frosting is filled to the brim with banana flavor and topped with a simple frosting. It is important to use very ripe bananas in this recipe. It will add a natural sweetness and moist texture. All ingredients are organic, if it’s possible!
- 5 very (very) ripe organic bananas, mashed
- ½ cup organic unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup oil
- 2½ cups raw sugar (or monk fruit sweetener)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional) (or nutmeg essential oil 1 drop)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered cane sugar, or to taste (can substitute equal parts regular powdered sugar) (or Monk fruit sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large mixing bowl, beat mashed bananas, butter, oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Sift in baking soda, salt, flour and nutmeg. Stir until lump-free.
Evenly distribute batter between two greased 8 or 9-inch cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool to room temperature before removing from pans & frosting.
In a stand mixer (or using a hand-mixer) with the paddle attachment beat butter, cocoa powder, sugar and vanilla until fluffy (about 5-8 minutes).
Frost cake as desired.