March 22, 2023
One of the main mistakes that we make is to consider that we have high level of stomach acid when we have acid burning sensation. You go to the doctor thinking that you have acid reflux, and doctor prescribes medication to neutralize your stomach acidity. Then you might notice that many new symptoms appeared (such as feeling tired, losing hair, developing allergies, etc).But acid burning sensation can be caused by a delayed production of stomach acid as well as by excess production. When stomach acid production is delayed, the stomach contents may be already in the duodenum by the time the acid is produced. Then the stomach burns because there is no food to buffer it.
Today we are going to discuss How to Test Your Stomach Acid Levels At Home.
Test for Stomach Acid with Lemon
We cut this lemon and squeeze it. What do we have? A lemon juice.So when we add this lemon juice into a glass of water, we get a sour drink. And we drink it on empty stomach 30 minutes before meal.If you have after that discomfort or burning sensation, you have high level of stomach acid.But if you drink this glass of water with lemon juice and after that feel very comfortable, without any burning sensation, then your stomach acid level is low.
Test for Stomach Acid with the Apple Cider Vinegar.
We use 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and one glass of water and drink on empty stomach in the morning.If you have after that discomfort in your stomach or burning sensation, you have high level of stomach acid. But if you drink this glass of water with apple cider vinegar and after that feel very comfortable, without any burning sensation, then your stomach acid level is low.
Test for Stomach Acid with Betaine HCI
This test is useful for assessing the integrity of the stomach lining and the amount of Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) produced by the stomach. Betaine HCl is a stomach acid supplement. The body responds to acid supplementation by producing more acid of its own. Following the full program will help teach your body how to produce its own acid.
Each person will have a specific initial supplementary Betaine HCl dosage, use the below method to discover yours:
- Eat a complete meal containing at least 15-20 grams of protein (e.g., 4-6 ounces of meat or other protein). Start by taking 1 capsule (500 mg) of Betaine HCl during the beginning of that meal.
- Observe your body for the next 15 minutes or until the meal is finished. Look for a gentle burning (heat) in the throat/chest, or a slight pain or heaviness in the upper stomach region, below the diaphragm.
- Increase the number of caps at the protein meal by 1 per day, until you reach the first sign of stomach discomfort as described in step #2.
- When this happens, the ideal Betaine HCl dosage is 1 capsule less. For example, if you felt the discomfort going from 4 caps to 5 caps, then 4 caps is the proper dosage for a normal meal.
- Do not exceed 5 capsules per meal, even if you are not experiencing burning.
- Continue with this dose until it too begins to cause burning. Once this dose causes burning, reduce the dose by 1 capsule and continue with the therapy.
- Reduce the dose by 1 capsule every time burning occurs until you no longer require the Betaine HCl.
- Small meals or snacks do not require as many Betaine HCl capsules as large meals. (for a small snack, such as a piece of fruit, you won’t need any at all)
- If you forget to take your Betaine HCl capsules, they will still be effective if taken 2 hours or more after eating.
- As digestion improves, the amount of HCl supplements will be lowered until finally a person wouldn’t require them any longer unless under extreme stress or in times of over-eating
The Baking Soda Stomach Acid Test:
This test works by creating a unique chemical reaction within your stomach that occurs when you mix the OH- ions of the baking soda with the hydrogen (H+) ions within the bodies stomach acid (HCL). The natural results should be a carbon dioxide gas production which will cause a burping effect.
Here is How You Do The Test:
- Mix ¼ tsp of baking soda in 4-6 oz. of cold water, first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything.
- Drink the baking soda solution
- Time how long it takes for a burp or belch to come about. Go up to 5 minutes. If you have not burped or belched within 5 minutes than it would be a sign of insufficient stomach acid production.
If you have early and repeated belching or indigestion than it may be due to too much stomach acid. However, it is important not to confuse these with small little burps from swallowing air when drinking the solution. Any belching after 3 minutes is an indication of low stomach acid levels and overall HCL production.
Try these tests and stay healthy. Just remember: Digestion- is the foundation of good health.