by Young Living November 6, 2016
For centuries many cultures have looked to essential oils to enhance their daily lives, perform religious rites, support wellness, and wear as perfumes. Not only are essential oils extremely versatile but many also contain naturally occurring constituents that are practically made for one particular usage: beautifying the skin. Unlike skin care products that rely on harsh and synthetic ingredients, essential oils use their natural properties to brighten, smooth, and moisturize the appearance of skin in a way that leaves you feeling perfectly pampered.
The best part? You can easily add essential oil goodness to your regimen with our Essential Oils for Skin Care Set. This holiday exclusive includes Lavender, Tea Tree, and Frankincense essential oils, so it’s a great way to get started with skin care oils or share them with a friend! Here are our ideas for using these and other skincare favorites to get your glow on!
Lavender essential oil is the perfect place to start and a must-have in every home. This popular essential oil soothes and nourishes all skin types and is easy to incorporate into your skin care regimen every day.
- Add a drop to your hand, mix with facial moisturizer, and treat your skin to a mini facial massage.
- Make a basic homemade body scrub by combining coconut oil, sugar, and Lavender essential oil. Start with 3–4 drops and gradually add more as desired.
- Create a spa-like retreat by combining 1 cup Epsom salt and 4 drops Lavender and adding to a hot bath.
Frankincense essential oil has been sought after since ancient times for its many benefits, including its rejuvenating and beautifying properties. Great for all skin types—but especially beneficial for mature complexions—this luxurious oil helps moisturize and smooth the skin.
- Boost your skin’s radiance by massaging a drop of Frankincense into facial skin after cleansing, followed by applying your regular
- Add a few drops to your face cream or body lotion and rub directly into skin.
- Massage into the skin on hands and feet after a long day to restore skin’s texture.
Great for smoothing and nourishing all skin types, Cedarwood essential oil is a very versatile oil with a rich, woodsy aroma. Because this
oil also benefits hair, it’s a great choice for nourishing skin on the scalp.
- Smooth skin on the face or body by adding a few drops Cedarwood to your favorite lotions.
- Add 3–4 drops to a bowl of hot water. Cover your head and the bowl with a towel and breathe deeply and slowly for several minutes to open pores and enjoy the calming aroma. Follow up with a facial massage that includes 1 drop of Cedarwood oil.
- Mix 5–6 drops of Cedarwood with a small amount of coconut or argan oil. Massage into your scalp 30–60 minutes before showering, then wash and rinse hair as normal.
Traditionally used in skin care products for its cleansing properties, Tea Tree essential oil is great for all skin types but is especially suited for use on oily skin.
- Use as a spot treatment by placing a drop on the end of a cotton swab and dabbing lightly onto targeted areas of the face.
- Add 1–2 drops to your daily application of shampoo to nourish your scalp. Lather shampoo into hair and scalp, let sit a few minutes while enjoying its cool, tingly sensation, and then rinse.
Geranium essential oil is a popular choice to help smooth and tone skin. This essential oil is great for
all skin types, but it’s especially beneficial for skin that’s either oily or dry.
- Add a few drops of this essential oil to a DIY face mask or use it during a stress-reducing facial massage.
- Add 4–5 drops to a water bottle with 2 ounces of water. Spritz lightly over skin for a refreshing, revitalizing effect.
6. Ylang Ylang
Known for its sweet floral fragrance, Ylang Ylang essential oil also helps moisturize and revitalize skin. This uplifting essential
oil is great for all skin types, but it especially benefits dry or mature complexions.
- Add several drops into a carrier oil, such as V-6™ Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex, and incorporate into a relaxing massage at the end of the day.
- Add 2–3 drops to your bathwater.