September 17, 2020
True prevention is not waiting for bad things to happen, it's preventing things from happening in the first place."
With cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) on the rise again and health experts warning of a second wave, let me just recap on how we can use essential oils to boost immunity and support our respiratory system.
Based on research and years of experience with essential oils, I have come up with some basic protocols for treating and preventing a viral infection. To understand the logic of my ways, I’ll first explain what is known about viruses and the mechanisms of how essential oils work to disrupt or destroy the virus.
Viruses replicate by using host cells in the body, which is listed in stages from adsorption (connection to the cell), replication, to shedding (the release of viral progeny to find new host cells). The virus may also “hide” or become non-active, to avoid the body’s defenses, called the latency stage. There are many studies available looking at specific essential oils and their effectiveness against the virus strains. When reading through the studies, it’s generally demonstrated how the essential oils work against a virus, including the stage at which the essential oil is able to destroy the virus.
In most studies I’ve read, essential oils are ineffective after viral adsorption and therefore, once adsorption occurs, they are unable to stop the virus from populating the host cell.
Essential oils show to be most effective in reducing viral infection before adsorption. There are actually variations within these studies regarding at exactly what stage the essential oil is able to stop the virus, which is generally accomplished through disruption of the viral envelope. This means the essential oil needs to get to the virus before it’s able to bind and infect a host cell.
It can be difficult to predict which oils will be most effective against the strain of virus causing infection. For best results and protection use a complex mix of essential oils and multiple applications.
- Diffuse oils throughout the day in your home and work space.
- Take oils in a capsule twice a day.
- Massage an antiviral essential oil formula over the whole body twice a day.
Having a strong immune system is one of the key ways of fighting off viruses. As well as using essential oils, try the following:
- Ensure you’re getting sufficient sleep.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Eat more immune-boosting foods such as citrus fruits, red peppers, broccoli, garlic, ginger, spinach and turmeric.
- Take a Vitamin C supplement.
- Moderate exercise boosts immunity, but don’t overdo it, as overly strenuous exercise can suppress the immune system.
- Try to reduce stress levels as the stress hormone cortisol can suppress the immune function.
- Book a professional massage - massage stimulates the production of white blood cells which protect against infection and disease.
Prevention is so much better than healing because it saves the labor of being sick. Let’s build wellness rather than treating disease.
It is health that is a real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.
Call us today and make your appointment!