After age 40, sleep quality and quantity deteriorate noticeably as melatonin production in the brain declines. Supplemental melatonin has been researched to dramatically improve sleep/wake cycles and combat age-related insomnia.
Insomnia may also be caused by bowel or liver toxicity, poor heart function, negative memories and trauma, depression, mineral deficiencies, hormone imbalance, or underactive thyroid.
The fragrance of many essential oils can exert a powerful, calming effect on the mind through their influence on the limbic region of the brain.
Take 2-3- drops of Lavender Vitality in a spoonful of syrup or small amount of milk, juice, or water.
- 12 drops Orange or Orange Vitality
- 8 drops Lavender or Lavender Vitality
- 4 drops Dorado Azul
- 3 drops Valerian
- 2 drops Roman Chamomile
- Apply 1-3 drops neat to shoulders, stomach, and on bottoms of feet
- Mix 6-8 drops of oils with ¼ cup Epsom salt or baking soda in hot water and add to hot bath water while tub is filling. Soak in bathtub for 20 to 30 minutes or until water cools.
- Rub 1-2 drops of oil on the temples and back of neck several times daily.
- Place a warm compress with 1-2 drops of oil on the back.
- Diffuse essential oils for ½ hour every 4-6 hours or a desired.
- If diffusing while sleeping, set your timer for automatic shut off.